Sights of Szendrő
School history exhibition
3752 Szendrő, 6.Váralja út This exhibition shows old school furniture, school coat of arms, tangible teaching equipment and accessories collected in the Cserehát.
Blue dyeing house
3752 Szendrő,6. Petőfi tér.
The building declared a monument in 1963 shows on three floors the process and the relics of the blue dyeing which spread from the XVIII. century.
American house – School porter house
3752 Szendrő, 37 Fő út.
This exhibition, which is in the School porter house the historic building of Szendrő, commemorates the „American Hungarians” who emigrated to the USA at the beginning of the 20th century but especially between the two world wars.
Treasure house, permanent exhibition of „The natural resources of the Bódva Valley”
3752 Szendrő Kovács út 6.
This exhibition shows interactively the architectural values which can be found along the Bódva river and rare miracles of the flora and fauna. Its speciality a 3D film which shows us the beauty of the cave world.
3752 Szendrő, 18 Fő u.
Csáky István count started to build the Csáky castle, which is in the centre of the town, in 1694. Some remains of a previous mansion were built in the building of the castle which had a late Baroque style. Significant transformations were made in the second part of the 19th century and the building got its present form. The main marks of the Baroque style can be seen today: triumphal arch gate, arch veranda, and window gratings. The building has a three-vault cellar. The castle is the centre of the cultural life of the town now, there is a library, a museum, and a gallery in it.
3752 Szendrő, 45 Kossuth u. It is a cemetery which cherish the memory of 280 Jewish people who were hauled away from Szendrő and its area. This is one of the biggest Jewish cemeteries of Hungary, and it can be visited freely.
3752, Szendrő 2 Fő út
The first written mention of the parish is from 1576. Because the Protestantism spread quite early here, locals from 5 villages went into the first reformed church built in the 1660s, the building site was donated to the church from the Lórántffy family. The historical studies proves that the campanile was built in this time which was not built together with the church in that time as well. The nave subsided for the middle of the 19th century and became dangerous therefore in the millennium year of the conquest a new but smaller church was built. The tower got its wooden gallery structure in 1786 and the years of the later repairs can be seen on it (1833, 1871, 1911, 2000, 2019). Three bells live in the tower, one which is 250 kg, one which is 116 kg and one which is 87 kg. The oldest one (250 kg) was casted in 1728 in Oláhpatak and it has a protection of historic buildings.
Roman catholic church
3752 Szendrő, 20 Kovács u.
The former Franciscan holy order monastery and the convent church belonging to it was built in 1635 which had to endure the damaging of fire and revolution. The monastery and the church got the convent title which meant that a community with more people could move here. The church was built in Baroque style which can be seen from the wood carvings of the high altar and the side altar. The high altar is from the XVIII. century. The organ of the church was made by the famous Országh company. This is one of the biggest Franciscan church of Europe.
A About the visit of the sights above please enquire at the Közművelődési Központ és Könyvtár on these contacts:
3752 Szendrő, 18 Fő út Phone: 48/460-395, +36 70/885-9050